Ms. Trotter’s “Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Streusel”
Ms. Trotter’s Potato Casserole with Marshmallows and Streusel
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes (peeled and chopped into large chunks)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup milk or half and half
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice (I use both)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Salt to taste (do not need though. I do not use salt)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup brown sugar (feel free to use more. You won’t regret it!)
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2-3 cups mini marshmallows
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 2-quart casserole dish and set aside.
Place sweet potatoes in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until tender. Drain and return to the pot. Add butter, milk, cinnamon, brown sugar and salt to the potatoes and mash until smooth. Use a hand mixer if desired to make them extra smooth. Add additional seasonings if desired.
Transfer mashed potatoes to the casserole dish. Place in the oven until heated through (this should take just a few minutes).
While sweet potatoes are heating, prepare the topping. In a medium bowl, combine butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and pecans. Stir until thoroughly combined.
Remove the sweet potatoes from the oven. Top with half the marshmallows, then sprinkle half the streusel over the marshmallows. Top with the other half of the marshmallows and streusel. Place back in the oven for 10-15 minutes, until the topping is bubbly and brown.