Photo Courtesy of Google Images
Mrs. Brackney’s “Homemade Cranberries”
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries (if it’s frozen fresh cranberries it’s okay)
- 3 granny smith apples cubed
- 1 small bag of dried cherries
- 1 small bag of raisins
- Orange zest from 2 oranges
- 2 cups of orange juice plus the remaining juice from zested oranges
- Sugar to taste
Put cranberries, apples, dried fruit, orange zest and orange juice in a lidded pot and cook over the stovetop until the cranberries have popped and softened over medium heat. 10-15 minutes.
After cranberries are popped, use a potato masher and squish the berries, I suggest using an oven mit because you still want them to be hot when you do this step. This will squish the berries and apples but not pulverize them for a good bite.
They will be super tart so plan on adding a good amount of sugar. I don’t know the exact amount so you will have to taste as you go along until they are at the sweetness that you desire.
Allow them to cool in the pot until it is safe to put them in a plastic container and cool in the fridge until mealtime.