Schedule Changes and Its Issues

Students+participate+in+face+to+face+instruction+

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Students participate in face to face instruction

Camryn Watkins, Entertainment Editor

For some students, in person school started back on April 6th. The new hybrid schedule consists of two in person classes in the morning followed by two online classes in the afternoon. Teachers are given the opportunity to hold synchronous or asynchronous lessons for all seven periods on Wednesdays. Although some students are happy to return in person, the schedule has become problematic for others.

“I will say I enjoy it, but I think that’s because of the lack of interaction I’ve had,” said Nick Jackson, a junior in Cohort A, “I won’t say I prefer it, but it is nice being able to interact with people again.”

In high school, each of the morning classes is one hour and 45 minutes long, starting at 7am. All in person classes mandate the wearing of masks and require that students remain socially distant. Class sizes have significantly decreased due to many students opting to remain in cohort C, which is entirely online. All students have 90 minutes between their morning and afternoon classes, where they have time to get back home and/or eat lunch. The two afternoon classes each consist of a 30 minute period.

I will say I enjoy it, but I think that’s because of the lack of interaction I’ve had, I won’t say I prefer it, but it is nice being able to interact with people again.”

— Nick Jackson

“I really don’t like it, it’s confusing and I thought the old schedule was much better,” added junior Miah Wright, who is currently in Cohort C.

The schedule, although some may think it is well thought out, offers issues to several people. Even though classes are available for in person education, it really is not much different than the online learning CCSD implemented at the beginning of the school year. Teachers are still stuck behind computer screens for the online learners, while kids are physically sitting in their classes. In person students, for the most part, are still required to log into their Google Meets for instruction. For those online, the new schedule means certain activities, like breakfast or chores have to be skipped, and plans have to be made to accommodate the 90 minute break followed by two classes. For students on both sides, it brought the challenge of waking up earlier, to have computers open on time, or to make the bus/school on time.

Students continue to be stuck behind a computer screen (Photo Courtesy of: Google Images)

“I like it, but I think it could be better. Classes should be held closer together, I don’t understand why there is such a long break in the middle of the day,” said junior Jade Hollman, a student in Cohort C.

For some teachers, classes are smaller than what they would have liked, and most still don’t get to see or hear their online students. It presents a bit of a disconnect from both sides when it comes to teaching as well, as both in person and online students need to receive the same lesson, but are divided by a screen. For all parties involved, the schedule offers both positives and negatives, be it from time changes to the lengths of classes. There is no question that it has been an adjustment, but there is no doubt Mustangs can pull through for the final five weeks.