The Power of Music

Camryn Watkins, Entertainment Editor

Music is fundamental in almost anyone’s life, no matter the genre they prefer. One thing that music has done is open up a new way for people to express themselves and their emotions, some even use music to regulate themselves and their lives.

“I usually listen to music when I’m stressed out, or tired or even just not in a good mood. It really helps ground me when I need something to,” claimed Junior Jade Hollman.

When given the chance to play or make music, it allows someone to take their mind off current events, or to pour their emotions out into it. It’s a way for people to show who they are and what they are about, even if they are too embarrassed to show it physically. It can offer an outlet for those who have no other way to process what they’ve been through, and it provides an escape from the thoughts that could be running through someone’s head. Music, no matter if the genre is country or rock or whatever else it may be, allows someone to connect to what they’re hearing, and be able to process what they may have going on with themselves.

“It’s always been like a dream to make music, mostly because it is something I really enjoy,” said sophomore Gjason White.

I usually listen to music when I’m stressed out, or tired or even just not in a good mood. It really helps ground me when I need something to.”

— Jade Hollman

Music can also be a way for people to regulate themselves and their emotions. For some people, listening to calming music is enough to make them feel better, and the same goes for other genres and feelings. And it is not just listening to music that can help, making music is another great way for people to regulate and understand how they feel. Be it from a horrible experience they want to get out into the world, from being so happy they have to scream at the top of their lungs, having the opportunity to make music is perfect for coming to terms with how a person feels and how they can start to feel better.

“It’s definitely something I do a lot, just to distract myself and to relax a little,” added junior Miah Wright.

Music doesn’t always have to be used in order to express or regulate a person, sometimes it’s good just to take a step back and listen to whatever is playing. Be it for background noise, or just to fill an awkward silence, it’s also good to have something there no matter what. It is also a good time to unwind from the day or to get pumped about whatever is about to happen next