Top 5 National Parks Worth a Visit

Photo Courtesy of: Google

Zion National Park is a must see and close to Las Vegas.

Camryn Taylor, Journalist

In response to observing extreme beauty in nature and discovering history, visiting a national park is an opportunity to spend quality time with friends and family and enjoy a variety of exciting recreational activities. Here are the top 5 National Parks ranked across the USA.

1.  Yosemite National Park

Located in California’s Sierra Nevada mountains, Yosemite National Park has many gorgeous sites including Vernal Falls and Bridalveil Falls, as well as unique granite rock formations like the Half Dome and El Capitan. Giant sequoia trees are also across the park which are definitely worth seeing. Yosemite Village also allows visitors to get souvenirs while having restaurants, lodging, and an art museum.

“Yosemite is gorgeous all around, but my favorite part of my trip was renting bikes, and riding all around with my family. We rode to Yosemite Falls, and through a bunch of random areas, and then we got lunch and coffee at a little deli in the park. It was super peaceful and so beautiful,” said Rory Britton, sophomore. 

Yosemite National Park
This photo was taken by Rory Britton on her trip to Yosemite.

2. Yellowstone National Park

Yellowstone National Park is about 3,500 square miles at an elevation of 8,104 ft. It is located in Wyoming. Yellowstone is actually about the same size as Delaware and Rhode Island combined. Yellowstone is also home to more than 500 active geysers. Yellowstone was named after the Yellowstone River that runs through it. Yellowstone could also destroy the world with the mini volcano if they erupted all at once. 

Yellowstone National Park
This is what Yellowstone is known for, these geysers have been around for millions of years.

3. Glacier National Park

Located in Montana’s Rocky Mountains, Glacier National Park has more than 700 hiking trails that are definitely worth taking a look at doing. This park is known for its glacier-carved peaks and valleys that run across the border of Canada. Glacier also offers backpacking, cycling, and camping all around the park. Glacier National Park is a part of the world’s first international peace park. Going to the sun road is one of the most famous marvels and is definitely a must see on a trip here.

“I have been to this park twice and in the winter it’s super pretty because the glaciers are really hot, so it makes a cool fog in the air. My family and I also got a lot of cool pictures in the fog and you had to be careful not to throw anything in the glaciers because of how hot they were,” said Layla Blust, sophomore. 

4. Grand Canyon National Park

The Grand Canyon National Park is located in Northern Arizona and is filled with layered bands of red rock with lots of history behind the park. Some viewpoints that are worth taking a stop at would be Mather Point, Yavapai Observation Station, and Lipan Point. These viewpoints provide views of the Colorado River and wide views of the canyon.

“It was such a fun experience to go here for the weekend. My family and I did some of the trails but it was really hot, so after a couple of hours, we left,” described Mercedes Chartrand, sophomore. 

Grand Canyon National Park, Mather Point
This is Mather Point, one of the most visited viewpoints in the entire park.

5. Zion National Park

Southern Utah is known for the gorgeous Zion National Park. At the park, there are hiking trails such as the Narrows hike, Observation Point Trail, and Angels Landing that are worth a stop. At Zion, there is a shuttle that takes guests around the park to gift shops and hiking trails. In 2019 there was an average of 4,488,268 people who went there.