The Grammys

The+Grammys

Trevor Page, Journalist

The 65th annual Grammy Awards on February 5th provided a memorable night that featured many diverse artists and fans.

Bad Bunny stunned the audience with one of the best performances of the night. His album, “Un Verano Sin Ti,” is the first Spanish-language album to be nominated for Album of the Year.

From the beginning of the night, viewers could notice the effort to include everyone.

The big feature of the night was the fan segment, which included one superfan from all 10 artists nominated for Album of the Year.

This poll has ended.

Do you think Harry Styles deserved The Album of the year award?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

This was a great opportunity for the audience to see the diversity across gender, race, and age of music fans. But like other aspects of the show, it dragged at times because some artists were just not as interesting as others. It also was a record-breaking night.

Once Beyoncé won 4 awards, she became the all-time Grammys leader. Although Beyoncé arrived fashionably late, she is still so valued in the music industry as she is strong and independent.

Sophomore Jazmin Ruiz said, “I loved what Beyoncé was wearing for the Grammys.”

Another award, for best pop duo performance, was given to Sam Smith and Kim Petras for the song “Unholy.” The speech from Petras was moving for viewers as she announced she had become the first transgender woman to win this category.

She then told her story, which featured a remembrance of her late friend Sophie, who always inspires her music.

Sophomore Jaeden Jones said, “I think the Grammys were pretty great and very interesting to watch.”

Another great aspect of the ceremony was recognizing hip hop, as it turns 50 this year. Dr. Dre specifically was honored, along with dozens of others such as Lil Uzi Vert, GloRilla, Run-DMC, and more.

A great way to end the night was to let DJ Khalid perform. Jay Z shined, as Lil Wayne, Giveon, John Legend and more were featured. Of course DJ Khalid was going to take the opportunity to make his final remarks motivational somehow.

Bonnie Raitt won song of the year for her song “Just Like That.” Given that the other nominees in this category included Harry Styles, Kendrick Lamar, and Lizzo, there was bound to be disagreement on this one.

The artist who got snubbed for song of the year has to be Steve Lacy’s “Bad Habits” a popular song among high school students.

Overall the 2023 Grammy Awards was a memorable one. Harry Styles, who took home the most valued award, Album of the Year, reminded listeners that there is no such thing as “the best” in music.

Jones also said, “One thing I didn’t like is that Harry Styles shouldn’t have won Album of the Year when his music is alright and not good.”