Why Should Women Join Wrestling?

Isa Fackrell

Isa Fackrell and Danielle Franco, Post Practice Picture

Isa Fackrell, Journalist

At Shadow Ridge High School, many of it’s sports are becoming co-ed or have a team for the opposite sex. Examples of this include Football to flag football and baseball to softball. But now there’s a new team coming in and it is creating excitement.

Although there have always been women on Shadow Ridge’s wrestling team, by this season or next, all of CCSD will have their very own women’s wrestling teams. However, not everybody’s excited about it- some parents are concerned about having women in wrestling.

“It was always, ‘why would you want to do that, you aren’t strong enough, you won’t make it past the conditioning, you’re a girl you can’t wrestle guys,’’ 2nd year wrestler Jacobi Gledhil reflected when asked about the opposition she faced when deciding to join the team.

“I don’t think you’ll like it, it’s a very physical sport. You could hurt yourself. You’ll have other people’s sweat on you. Are you sure you want to do this?” Jazmine Madden, (1st year wrestler,) was told by others attempting to negatively influence her decision.

Why are people against women participating in wrestling? Some parents show concern that wrestling is a very touchy sport and that they wouldn’t want their daughters being touched by boys in such a manner. Others claim that biologically, men are stronger than women, and the boys would have an unfair advantage.

This poll has ended.

Would you join wrestling?

image

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

Though these are understandable concerns, there are many benefits to women learning how to wrestle.

1st year wrestling Asrial Berry said, “My brother, Malahkai Berry (Sophomore) encouraged me to do wrestling, I thought he was joking but he was serious and doing it actually helped change my bad habits. Wrestling really does change your perspective with life in general, it may be a hard sport but it shows how you could be determined and consistent!”

With wrestling, women are taught to be more disciplined and it aids them to build better foundations for themselves.

“Women should join wrestling because colleges are always looking for girl wrestlers, and they’ll give you a big scholarship, even if you’re not that good. Plus, you get way stronger,” Gledhil says.

The Lady Mustangs can set themselves up for an education and give themselves more college opportunities. Even if a girl finds that they are not the best wrestler, colleges want women in wrestling, and they’re granted scholarships. Additionally, women do indeed get stronger with the weight training, running, and overall conditioning in wrestling.

First year wrestler, Janina Szewczyk, states, “Wrestling has taught me to push myself more than I thought was possible. I was really nervous about getting exhausted at practice. Honestly, I do get exhausted [from] almost every practice, but I know that I can get through it and that it is not the end of the world.”

Wrestling is hard, it can’t be downplayed, it will be tiring. But the women in wrestling have made it very clear that the conditioning is worth it to improve yourself.

If that isn’t convincing enough, just take our Lady Stang’s word for it.
Szewczyk says, “go for it, it’s the best decision you’ll ever make!”