Mr. Krohn: the Science Teacher

Alexis Farmer

Mr. Krohn posing behind his desk

Alexis Farmer, Journalist

Curtis Krohn is a Geoscience teacher at Shadow Ridge who displays a serious passion for his content area. He enjoys teaching students the required material and helping them prepare for their lives after school.

“I like teaching the things that are applicable in their lives, when they have something they can take home so they can see the things that have value in their lives,” Krohn explains.

“I like the vision of opportunity for the students, and the future that they have. I enjoy seeing my students’ window of opportunity and to look into their future from their perspective. I find that really exciting.””

— Curtis Krohn

Before Krohn began teaching geoscience, he worked at a farm with his father. Sadly, the farm was prone to floods and droughts, and some crops were not able to be produced. He decided to look to a former influential voice from his past to help guide him on how to find success.

“I went back to my high school and talked to my science teacher and he asked why don’t I start a career in education, because I’ve done a lot of public speaking in the FFA, and he asked me if I would consider a teaching career. 30 years later and here I am,” He says. 

He chose to pursue teaching and jumped at the opportunity to apply and share his real life experiences with students. He puts lots of effort into inspiring his students, hoping to be as influential as the teacher who guided him in life. He has a class of hardworking, honest and open students. 

Krohn cares a lot about his students and wants them to succeed in their lives. “I like how open and honest my students are,” Krohn says. He makes his class an opportunity for the students to work hard and the opportunity for the students to succeed. His student’s work hard and Krohn likes his students seeing the parts of education that are valuable in their lives. His teaching method work well with a class of interactive students. 

“I like the vision of opportunity for the students, and the future that they have. I enjoy seeing my students’ window of opportunity and to look into their future from their perspective. I find that really exciting,” Krohn explains. An exciting thing for a teacher is seeing their students succeed, and having a class of hardworking students is a great opportunity for new things to be learned. Krohn is a great example of a teacher who wants to see his students learn new things and achieve their goals.