National Honor Society

Photo Courtesy of: Sarah Marlott

Students of NHS distributing snacks.

Destiny Parra, Journalist

Students of Shadow Ridge High School are given plenty of different activites for students to actively participate in. NHS stands for a lot of things but one of the most important is integrity. NHS is an academic organization that focuses on character, scholarship, and leadership.  Students who want to participate in NHS need a 3.5 GPA to apply each fall.

The adviser of National Honor Society is social studies teacher, Sarah Marlott.  NHS is an important part of the schools community and students gain the experience and skills that will benefit them as they head off to college and eventually their career field.

Students gain experience and skills that can benefit them as they head off to college and eventually their career field.”

— Sarah Marlott

In NHS they do a lot of service related activates. Way before the pandemic happened they visited a local assisted living facility at least once a month and they introduced activities that could be done with the assisted living facility members.

“Unfortunately now most of our service activities are limited to things here at school: we’ve done a couple campus cleanups, made snack bags for the teachers, made valentines for vets, and participated in the day of service making dog toys,” stated Marlott

“We’ve also hosted the district wide NHS/NJHS conference 4 times in a row.  This year the service project for the conference focused on Shade Tree and we made pillows for the kids at Shade Tree.  We also did a donation drive in addition to the pillows.  Additionally, we offer tutoring on Tuesday and Thursday and each member is required to complete their own individual service hours.”

The members of NHS pose on the stairs.
Photo Courtesy of: Sarah Marlott

Once students have completed the application process and they have been accepted, requirements include keeping a 3.5 GPA, attending monthly meetings, participating in NHS group activities, completing the required number of tutoring sessions, and completing individual service hours.”

Marlott has been the adviser for National Honor Society for about 5 years.

Marlott concluded, “The school can contribute to NHS by just supporting our members and their efforts in service and leadership.”