The Taekwondo Kid

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Founder of Taekwondi, Choi Hong Hi.

Aron Bihasa, Journalist

Taekwondo is a martial art that is taught to the people in schools across the world. Many people learn Taekwondo for fun or to learn how to defend themselves if the time is right and necessary. Taekwondo is a Korean form of martial art created by Choi Hong Hi. Taekwondo was invented during the 1940s and 1950s and is a combination of techniques from a Korean form, Taekkyeon, and the Japanese martial art Karate. 

Student Jasmine Devera is one of many people in the world that was taught the secrets of Taekwondo. Devera found Taekwondo to be very fun and has been one of the best experiences of their life. They believe that it all depends on the peoples’ personality and the students in the class on whether it will be a fun experience or not. There was a lot of comradery and interaction between the students which greatly enhanced the overall experience. 

Jasmine Devera in their taekwondo gear. (Photo Courtesy of: Jasmine Devera)

“I would recommend Taekwondo to anyone that is strong-willed, determined, and disciplined,” Devera said. “What the instructors teach is tough but solely depends on who the instructors are.”

Taekwondo focuses on the peoples’ stamina and form. The structure of Taekwondo usually starts with a warmup to get the body ready for training and to prevent injury. The class is usually separated depending on the belt color they have earned so students can train alongside those of similar skill level. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and continuing training outside of the Taekwondo class is really important to reach one’s full potential in Taekwondo. Keeping the body healthy and in peak condition is very vital to any martial art or sport in order for performance to be as high as possible.

“I would consider Taekwondo tough to learn if you’re not used to or comfortable with certain movements,” Devera said.

The way Taekwondo is taught varies greatly from dojo to dojo. Some classes have only one instructor while some others have many more instructors to teach on different parts of the day. Devera’s class had four instructors that would cycle through on different days. Some of them were easier going while some were tough in class and made the training tough.

Taekwondo was really fun and I’m glad I took the class even though it may be tough.”

— Jasmine Devera

Anyone that is thinking about taking classes in Taekwondo should think to themselves if they are really committed to the art. They should be extremely sure that they want to go, and they shouldn’t be lazy with the lessons. Taekwondo is no joke and requires a lot of attention and effort to pull off one’s max potential in the martial art.