Original vs. Tropical Sour Patch Kids

Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

Cass Soldate, Journalist

Sour Patch Kids are a brand of soft candy known for their slogans “Sour Then Sweet” and “Sour. Sweet. Gone.” referring to the candy’s sour-to-sweet taste. Their famous tastes come from their coating of invert sugar and sour sugar – a combination of citric acid, tartaric acid, and sugar. These child-shaped treats were invented in the 1970s by a Long Island man named Frank Gatatolie.

In early 2017, Mondelez International, the corporation that controls the Sour Patch brand, released its first new addition to its roster of Sour Patch Kids products in six years – Sour Patch Watermelons. Since then, Mondelez International has released Sour Patch Xploderz, Sour Patch Z-Treme, Sour Patch Fruits, Sour Patch Connectors, Sour Patch Kids Berries, Sour Patch Xmas Kids, Sour Patch Chillerz, Sour Patch Line Ups, Sour Patch Blue Raspberry, Sour Patch Peach, Sour Patch Cherry, Sour Patch Sour Apple, Sour Patch Bunnies, Sour Patch Kids Soda Popz, Zombie Sour Patch Kids, Sour Patch Kids Heads & Bodies, and Sour Patch Kids Tropical. The debate between original and tropical Sour Patch Kids has varied for the past year.

Sour Patch Kids | I found this in my photo archives and I do… | Flickr
Photo Courtesy of: Google Images

“Sour Patch Kids are, in my opinion, perhaps the greatest mass-produced American candy. To me, their astringent artificiality best captures the essence of what “candy” means in an industrialized society. It’s not a “sweet,” not a “confection,” not a “dessert” – it’s gaudy and multi-colored, a pure sugar rush whose sugar is barely identifiable as such: the granules comprise a somehow amped-up, nearly unrecognizable iteration of the household stable, with an added tingle and tang, that makes the everyday version, though it’s steadily destroying the health of most Americans, seem wholesome by comparison,” says Brett Yates in “Product review: Tropical Sour Patch Kids.”

After the March debut of Sour Patch Kids Tropical, a writer for PopSugar called them an “upgrade” over the original while acknowledging that such a feat would be “hard to imagine” and added that the new line of treats had inspired the website’s staff.

Tropical Sour Patch Kids taste like rubber. They remind me of the medicine that comes in candy-form for kids. Hands down, one of the worst Sour Patch Kids creations.”

— sophomore Arionna Holmes

As positive as most of the reviews are online, a survey done at Shadow Ridge High School says otherwise. To impact this survey, vote below in the SNO poll.

Original or Tropical Sour Patch Kids?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.