Konnichi wa from Mr. Bertsch

Photo Courtesy of: Aron Bihasa

Current teacher in Japanese. He wanted to take a mug shot.

Aron Bihasa, Journalist

Shadow Ridge High School has an elective aiming towards teaching kids how to speak Japanese taught by Mr. Bertsch. They learn how to write the Japanese alphabet, AKA hiragana. There are 3 different alphabets in Japanese for kids to learn. They also learn simple things like how to say “chicken” in Japanese. Mr. Bertsch also teaches students how to say sentences in Japanese and how they work.

Junior, Katie McDowell is in Japanese I and finds the class very enjoyable and efficient in teaching her. She started taking the class because she required 2 years of a foreign language and decided that she would take Japanese. She loves the teacher’s style of teaching and feels like his way of teaching makes the language easy and fun to comprehend.

“Mr.Bertsch is one of the coolest teachers at our school,” McDowell said. “He’s so caring towards his students and loves to make jokes with the students.”

Location of the classroom is portable 16 (Photo Courtesy of: Aron Bihasa)

Mr. Bertsch tries his best to make the class engaging and productive. He always tries to make teaching people entertaining with jokes and funny moments to keep the students’ attention on him so they don’t get side tracked or fall asleep. McDowell also says that the class is effective in teaching her.

Junior, Javier Alonso, is in Japanese III and finds the class very enjoyable. Everyone he knows in the class tends to be very chill. He took Japanese because many schools have basic Spanish and French classes, but seeing that Shadow Ridge had a Japanese class, he wanted to give something unique a try.

Take my picture as if I was taking a mugshot.”

— Joel Bertsch

Alonso said, “the Japanese teacher is very chill and nice, or as some people now put it, wholesome.”

Many people tend to think that Mr. Bertsch is the star of the class. As in, he is half or maybe even more of the reason why people continue to take his Japanese class. Alonso believes that the toughness of the class depends on how students are able to understand the concept. The class is very fast paced with its work, so having to keep up with the class may be a little tough to the people who aren’t very good at learning quickly or understanding the language.

McDowell recommends the class to those people who want to just understand Japanese in general,  and people who really like watching anime and want to try to see if they can translate what the characters are saying in Japanese without reading the subtitles.