Leaving a Legacy

Eight+benches+gifted+to+SRHS+from+the+class+of+2018.++

Photo Courtesy of: Arionna Holmes

Eight benches gifted to SRHS from the class of 2018.

Destiny Parra, Journalist

Senior gifts are gifts given to the school from the graduating senior class. The gifts are meant to be something that future students will remember that graduating class by.

Brandi Robertson, teacher and librarian at SRHS shares that she would like the senior gift to be something that could benefit the entire school.

Robertson explains, “We have not had senior gifts the past two years due to Covid-19. We are hoping to do a combined three year gift this year” she shares. “It something that everyone should know about.”

I would love for the senior gift to be something that all kids can use. I know they have talked about adding charging stations for the kids in the past (in the cafeteria) and I think that would be a great gift.”

— English teacher, Paige Smith

Furthermore senior English teacher, Paige Smith, shares, “Generally the senior gift benefits all of Shadow Ridge; we’ve had benches installed, a mural painted in room 200, an electronic flag that rolls down during games in the gym, the electronic marquee in the front of the school, and a beautiful clock that used to be in front of the theater.”

Smith expressed that in the past there hasn’t been a big unveiling of the senior gift. She feels that the gift just tends to show up one day and that there really isn’t much fanfare around it. She continues saying that maybe there should be some kind of assembly to unveil the gift and that the Senior Assembly would be the perfect place for the Class of 2022 to show off their Senior Gift.

Smith stated, “I would love for the senior gift to be somethingng that all kids can use; I know they have talked about adding charging stations for the kids in the past (in the cafeteria) and I think that would be a great gift.”

Gifted from the class of 2017 (Photo Courtesy of : Arionna Holmes )

Smith stated that she does not think there was  a senior gift last year (because of COVID) and that she is pretty sure the senior class from last year agreed to roll the money over to the class of 2022 since they were virtual last year.

Counselor, Karissa Gutherie also commented that she would like to have a quad clean up. Guthrie suggested that maybe the class of 2022 could add a few more sitting areas around the campus. Guthrie also shares that a board inside the cafeteria highlighting some SRHS seniors  and what their post secondary plans are would be a great idea.

Guthrie also stated, “Once we can start having assemblies, I think that it would be fun to display the senior gift or announce the senior gift at an assembly for the whole student body.”

Having this senior class gift is something every senior class should experience because its a sign of completion. The end of high school is over but it feels good to know something was left behind as a class.