HBCU Is All That!

Senior, Kiyyah Williams, applies for the HBCU scholarship. .

Photo Courtesy of: Mrs. Smith

Destiny Parra, Journalist

According to CNN, Beyoncé and Jay-z have partnered with Tiffany &Co to help students who attend are planning on attending an HBCU in the fall. They decided to donate this money for students who will be studying the arts and the creative field. The selected schools that they are donating scholarship money to is Lincoln University in Pennsylvania, Norfolk State University in Virginia, Bennett College In North Carolina, University of Arkansas at the Pine Bluff, and Central State University in Ohio. 

Senior, Kiyah Williams states, “Being afforded scholarships would mean a lot. No one wants to go to a college unprepared.”

Williams also says that it is nerve racking to think that her freshman year is just around the corner and if she were  awarded with scholarship money, it would take some off the weight and stress off of her shoulders.

“African American students do not get a lot of reparations within the educations system so it is important to support and attend HBCUs to support  our community and be surrounded by people just like myself who understand the struggles I’ve had to endure being a Black student. ” ”

— Symone Douglas Holmes

“Going to an HBCU will help me make friends easier. Usually when I feel out of place it’s harder for me to socialize and apply myself. Another benefit of going to an HBCU will be that I’m surrounding myself with others who come from the same background as me,” Williams stated.

She also thinks that by attending an HBCU, it will shape her college experience and  education.

Williams also believes that if she is comfortable with her environment, she will be able to thrive in the social environmnet as well as educational one.

Willams stated, “It’s important for me to go to an HBCU because I wouldn’t be left out or feel out of place. It’s also important for me because I would be more in touch with my history and where I come from.”

Senior, Symone Douglas Holmes,  shares that as a student going to college it means so much to her that she can be offered scholarship money. Getting the scholarship would allow her to  attend an HBCU where she will be able to pursue her dream of becomong a psychologist; if she isn’t offered scholarships she will have to work in order to afford school.

Holmes explains, “An opportunity you get from going to an HBCU is exposure to connections. You get to meet so many people just like yourself at an HBCU and I feel that is a very important opportunity. I also feel you get the opportunity to be exposed to a strong community. Faculty, staff and students create a strong community that you wouldn’t find elsewhere,” Holmes stated.

Photo Courtesy of: Mrs. Smith

Holmes also feels that it is important to go to HBCU for the community.

Holmes explains, “African American students do not get a lot of reparations within the educations system so it is important to support and attend HBCUs to support our community and be surrounded by people just like myself who understand the struggles I’ve had to endure being a Black student.”